Apply: Executive Director
August 20, 2021 @ 8:00 am– September 23, 2021 @ 12:00 am EDT
Deadline to apply: September 22, 2021
Squeaky Wheel seeks a new Executive Director who is dynamic, dedicated, and passionate. The position is an opportunity for an innovative and agile leader, experienced in the arts, to steer Squeaky Wheel in the programming and profile of this nationally recognized media arts organization. Candidates should have exceptional writing skills, be able to demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of all aspects of managing an arts organization, work well with diverse groups of people, and effectively represent Squeaky Wheel publicly. Strengths should include knowledge and enthusiasm for the media arts, writing grants, overseeing programs and finances, and fostering relationships within a passionate constituency.
About Squeaky Wheel
Squeaky Wheel is a place where art, technology, and community intersect. Located in Buffalo’s downtown Theater District inside the historic Market Arcade Complex, it is the only organization in Western New York with programming entirely dedicated to media arts. Squeaky Wheel collaborates with other cultural organizations, institutions, and schools throughout the region. The organization’s longstanding history of providing community-based media art related programs has established an expansive network of national and international artists, scholars, and media arts practitioners. By offering uniquely interconnected education, exhibition, and equipment access programs, Squeaky Wheel will connect and engage emergent creative communities in the Buffalo region and across the globe.
Squeaky Wheel is guided by the following intentions:
- Deepen relationships
- Create spaces for difference
- Approach the unimaginable
- Be intersectional
- Invent new vocabularies
- Practice reflection+action
- Realize continuities
- Transform internally to make change externally
- Shape new forms of connection
The Executive Director leads an organization that is, and supports:
- Cross section of local and international media art community
- Diverse and intergenerational constituency
- A dynamic hub for generating new ideas, sharing skills, future thinking, hands-on learning, engaged participation
- Operating at the convergence of physical and virtual space
- Creativity, connection, wellness and community
- Support and foster local talent
- Collaborate with community partners across spaces and platforms
- Exploring the meaning of Access: opening, availability, approachability, possibilities
The Executive Director is responsible for, and accountable to:
- Board of Directors
- Vision & Strategy
- Finance & Development
- Community Relations
- Leading People
Key duties and responsibilities:
- Oversee general operations of the organization, including:
- Manage and coordinate finances, budgets, fundraising and development plans.
- Hire and supervise full-time and part-time staff, independent contractors, interns, and volunteers.
- Write and manage grants for general operation, exhibition and educational programs and capital initiatives.
- Lead the charge in facilitating DEI initiatives and training
- Work with Board of Directors and staff to develop and implement short and long term strategic plans and policies aligned with the organization’s mission.
- Foster and maintain relationships with regional, national, and international audiences in the media arts, non-profit, and community development sectors.
- Represent, promote, and advocate on behalf of the organization within larger media art fields.
Qualities we are looking for:
- Adaptable: ability to respond to external and internal changes with agility and mission-centricity
- Forward-thinking: ability to think long term about the big picture trajectory of the organization
- Courageous: willing to take risks and try new things to best meet the needs of a diverse constituency
- Driven: committed to Squeaky’s mission and vision
- Culturally Competent: Committed to the ability to understand and interact effectively with people from diverse cultures, backgrounds and lived experiences
- Spirited leader: Ability to inspire and engage staff and Board of Directors in the organization’s work
- 3+ years experience in non-profit arts organization or program management in a role focused on strategy, leadership, and decision-making
- Bachelor’s degree (4+ years of relevant experience in lieu of a degree will be considered. An advanced degree in Media Arts, Arts Administration or related field is a bonus but not a requirement.)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and web and social media literacy.
- Experience with developing and executing operating budgets.
- Successful track record of grant writing and management
- Development of fundraising initiatives
- Experience working with a variety of organizations, corporations, and community groups in building meaningful partnerships and programs.
- Enthusiasm interacting with a broad array of people; ability to navigate local, regional, and national art communities.
- Strong commitment to Squeaky Wheel’s equal access policies.
- Embrace experimentation and creativity.
Compensation in the range of $45,000 to $55,000 annually. Healthcare costs are split between the organization and employee; paid vacation, sick and personal days.
How to apply
Please send cover letter and résumé in a single PDF document via email to: email@example.com
Subject: Executive Director Search.
BIPOC, and sexual & gender minority applicants, are encouraged to apply.
Early applications encouraged. No phone calls, please.
Deadline: September 22, 2021