Deadline: August 14, 2020
Notification of acceptance: August 24, 2020
Saturday Cafe is Squeaky Wheel’s Advance Track Youth Media Art Program, open to youth aged 13–19.
Classes take place Saturdays 12–3 pm ET, September 12–December 19, 2020 for a total of fifteen weeks.
Squeaky Wheel is looking for enthusiastic and driven young makers interested in art and technology to join our Saturday Cafe program. Students will explore the potential of virtual spaces to create work and learn new media and technology skills with an experimental focus.
Students will participate in our weekly meetings facilitated by Lead Mentors from Squeaky Wheel staff, and work with a series of visiting designers, media artists, and collectives, to create experimental virtual studios in Mozilla Spoke. Students will make and present new and ongoing work in virtually built environments. Classes are conducted in English.
Saturday Cafe is an experimental advanced track youth media education project, that provides students with artistic mentorship, professional development, and customized learning opportunities for young makers 13-19 based in Buffalo, NY. You can see more information about Saturday Cafe here.
Indigenous people, people of color, women, 2SLGBQTIA+ individuals, and young artists who face systemic and structural barriers are highly encouraged to apply. We welcome questions regarding the types of access we can provide to youth with disabilities: please contact the Director of Education.
Why should I apply?
- Do you want to express yourself through making videos, gifs, and abstract virtual environments?
- Do you love tinkering with programs and pushing the limits of how apps are “supposed to” function?
- Are you excited about teaming up with cool artists who can show you all the tips, tricks, and trappings in making a real space inside a virtual universe?
Then this program is for you!
- $150 project stipend
- $160 internet access waiver
- A free headset with microphone for video conferencing
- Access to Squeaky Wheel technology and support
- Participants are expected to attend all meetings. The program runs on Saturdays, September 12 – December 19, 2020, from 12–3 pm ET for a total of 45 contact hours.
- A collaborative spirit for group projects with fellow members and mentors. collaborate with their fellow members and mentors in the program.
- Will agree to adhere to Squeaky Wheel’s Community Guidelines to foster a positive and safe environment for everyone.
- Enthusiasm and some previous experience working with digital or media arts.
- Applicants must be between 13-19 at the time of applying.
- If you reside outside of the United States and are interested in being part of the program, please contact email@example.com.
Application materials will be be reviewed by a panel of Saturday Cafe mentors based on three criteria, on a 1-5 scale:
- Artistic Quality of work sample(s) (may submit up to 3 samples)
- Demonstration of willingness to collaborate
If you have questions about the application or process, please contact Martina LaVallo at firstname.lastname@example.org.